Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Day 51: Learning to be daring

When I first saw "The Dangerous Book for Boys" when it was published in England early last year, I thought it was a brilliant idea. A book that would teach boys about adventure and history...that didn't occur in a video or X game. When it came to the States later, with some slight modifications, I almost bought it, despite not being a boy, because it seemed so cool. And who says girls can't learn about pirates and tying knots and building a campfire? Well, there is no need, as two women got together and created "The Daring Book for Girls," which Mom bought for me last weekend.

It is based on the same premise as the one for boys, just with different history and adventures for the girls. How to be a spy and jump rope, information on great women inventors and leaders, and even stuff on finances. Which I for one find the most daring of all.

(Though I still may buy the boys one. They get history of the Alamo and Gettysburg, and NASA. Girls like that stuff too!)

Anyway...I've been going through it, marking stuff I want to try, stuff to read more about. Tonite I got my new thing from there, though it's small and probably done by everyone else but me. I made toothpaste out of baking soda and water. I am very picky when it comes to taste and texture, so this is actually quite daring...for me. All in all, not a terrible experience, but not one I really need to repeat unless I'm in a toothpaste pinch. I'll stick with my Crest Vanilla Mint for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment