Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day 10: Chef Bonnie (No, really.)

The last time I boiled an egg it took me an hour. It is not uncommon for me to have popcorn for dinner. I think chicken nuggets and honey mustard are the lost food group. And any attempt to cook anything that involves more than opening a package and throwing it in the oven, requires at least two phone calls to my mom and almost always leads to me consuming something burnt, rubbery, or under-cooked.

My sister asked for baking pans for Christmas. My brother asked for a crock pot and convection oven. I asked for a DVD player. I think that pretty much sums it up. (Though I did ask for a blender a few years ago, but that was just so I could make daiquiris.)

But I've decided that there are some "adult" things that I really must attempt to take part in. And one of those is cooking real, balanced meals for myself more often than...never. Tonite I made a healthy, balanced meal, with more than 1.5 food groups represented. And I touched raw chicken, which was indeed as vile as I imagined it to be. Big thanks to Perdue, you may torture your chickens, but at least you aren't prejudiced against single people since you now offer individually packaged, idiot-proof chicken.

Preparing the feast.
The feast. Italian-seasoned chicken, mashed potatoes, and Green Giant (microwaveable) steamed vegetables.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie! DO NOT be ashamed of not being able to cook. You get it naturally (from me, not your mom or your other aunts). You know I started 7 fires in one week (I even started a fire boiling water-damn that dish cloth!) I am NOT allowed to cook at Aunt Amee's! God had someone invent the microwave for a reason!!!

    Love you-
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie - I am so proud of you -- was this before or after you cooked hash browns? You did a good job on those. Don't forget you can make those break-n-bake cookies....they take a lot of talent and expertise. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to add that we won't let Shannon cook at our house...I always thought she just did not like to cook not that she was totally inept!!!! (oh well - she can clean) Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon - YAY! I'm not alone! And I haven't caught anything on fire in ages. But I did just slice my finger on a vegetable peeler. I wasn't even using it, I just reached it in the drawer and splat. And I agree about the microwave, other than foil - which I accidentally did once - is there anything that can't be microwaved?

    Mom - After the hashbrowns. They boosted my confidence. (And the pepper DID make a difference.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lord, How did you and Shannon get in our family, all the other nieces and aunts can cook... I guess when you both marry, marry rich so you can have a cook.
    Homemade mashed potatoes wouldhave made that delicious looking meal even better. Lamar refuses to let Shannon cook at our house especially when she calls and wants to know how to put out a fire she started while trying to cook.
    Love Aunt Amee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another good reason to marry rich, I hadn't thought of that one yet. :-)

    But at least if Shannon (or I) cook at your house there will be a fireman there to assist. Will keep him on his toes...

    ReplyDelete