Sunday, November 23, 2008

Day 328: The Not So Great Pumpkin

In our house, Daddy was the carver of the pumpkin at Halloween. I remember him cleaning out all the yuck, and then us telling him what we wanted it to look like, him drawing it on, and watching as he cut each piece perfectly. When the kits with patterns and tools came out, Joey and I started doing them ourselves, though Daddy still helped with the hard parts and cleaned out all the yuck, of course. But I haven't carved one in years, and when I saw this pattern in the Daily Tar Heel, I wanted to do my own, for the first time, right away:
But October was crazy and I never got around to it. Even though Halloween is over, it's still fall, so last week I bought a small, "cooking" pumpkin from Eastern Market, and today I cleaned out the yuck, saved the seeds to roast, and carved my own pumpkin.

I didn't end up going with the Tyler pattern as it wouldn't fit, but I still managed to bring a little Tar Heel pride to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment