Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day 324: Brr!

Apparently DC/Nova has jumped directly from fall into dead of winter. Seriously, these are like January temperatures and wind. Not cool, especially as I am still trying to shake this cold. But after work I braved my cold and the cold and met my book club at a newish restaurant, Founding Farmers. (Which is a new thing, but not today's official new thing.)

Aside from the seriously awesome name, it's also a cool place because it is a co-op of more than 60,000 independent farmers that supply all the food. I got french fries, a grilled cheese sandwich, and tomato soup. I love love tomatoes, but have never tried tomato soup. I think I was always scared off by the color in the past, but it was so cold out it sounded good. And all I could picture was the Campbell's soup commercial where the kid is playing in the snow and comes in a snowman, but then eats some tomato soup and melts back into a child. (Writing that out makes it sound like a horror film, but it's cute.)

The soup was good, the restaurant had great food choices and a good ambience, and the hostesses were really nice. (Important when you don't have a reservation and are meeting people you haven't met yet.) And I quite liked the tomato soup as well. Different, but I'd try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment