Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6: Epiphany/Three Kings Day


In the Christian tradition, today celebrates the revelation of Jesus as the son of God. This is also considered Three Kings Day as many believe this is when the Magi visited Baby Jesus. One of my Hispanic co-workers told me that growing up, she and her sisters always got three gifts on this day. While I had never heard of that, I have heard how some families give just three gifts on Christmas, each representing one of the gifts the Magi brought. To celebrate this tradition, I bought myself three tiny things. These only loosely relate to the Magi gifts, but I tried.

Gold: Something you really want
Symbolically gold represents kingship, as in Christ the King. It also represents the purification process we go through in our trials as a Christian.  

I had a terrible headache yesterday and it was below freezing. All I really wanted was a cupcake. So a red velvet cupcake is what I had. I don't know who would consider this purification, but God made cupcakes exist, and they made me happy, so it works.


Frankincense: Spiritual or cultural growth
Frankincense represented the divinity of Christ because frankincense was burnt as an offering to God. 

I'm fascinated by where Biblical events took place and the locations of cities and where they are in the modern world. This book is full of good information.

 
Myrrh: For the body
Myrrh represents the bitter cup that Christ had to drink in suffering for our sins. It also represents the the healing for us that His death brings. Myrrh was used for embalming and therefore represents the cross He would bear.

I bought body wash. Specifically, "heavenly" body wash. Suddenly this seems kind of ridiculous, but I swear I've read about other people doing it. If you're a believer, then you know that body wash doesn't come close to Jesus' sacrifice, it's just a really basic way of remembering it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment