Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 77: "You have overburdened your argument with ostentatious erudition." (Abigail to John, "John Adams")

There's a reason why I kept one of my majors as History, even after deciding not to go to law school, knowing that technically I would never use it. (Technically in the practical sense that advisers and many adults couldn't get over why I would study something that I couldn't get a job in.)

It's because I love it. Because, ironically enough, it never gets old for me. It will always exist, and even when something seems set in stone, a person, event, or place, it never really is. History evolves just as much as the present does.

Anyway...enough of that. Today I watched the first two parts of the "John Adams" miniseries on HBO. While Adams is certainly no Jefferson - and the series' portrayal of him thus far is the only problem I have with it - he is still a very interesting figure. I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, but I think I will be glued to my TV the next several Sundays. A shockingly accurate George Washington, funny rebels from South Carolina, and the most gruesome and disturbing tar and feathering scene, to name a few. And it's all, mostly, true.

No comments:

Post a Comment