Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day 251: Lions, tigers, and panda bears, oh my!

There is either something very right, or very wrong, about being able to take the metro to a zoo. In the middle of a city. Or just very weird.

To atone for yesterday's sloth, I ventured to the National Zoo for the first time, specifically to see the panda bears, another new thing.
It was no NC Zoo, but it was alright. I have never been to a zoo by myself before. I've more than proven I rarely have a problem doing things by myself, but going to the zoo isn't quite ok.

I had forgotten how jumpy I am at them. How I examine every enclosure, looking for possible escape routes for the animals. (And oh, there are plenty.) Every time something rustles in the trees, or I brush against a leaf, I'm convinced it's a stray bobcat ready to pounce. At least when I'm with other people I have someone beside me, ready to call 911. (Or someone to hide behind when the tiger leaps.)

Anyway...I did get to see the pandas, which was the whole point of the trip. They were cool. Not sure which is which, but they were pretty. And big.
And apparently they can spend up to 15 hours a day eating bamboo. I totally need a job like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment