Monday, September 1, 2008

Day 245: Google domination

I've mentioned before how I hate when something becomes bandwagony. Thus, for years I was a Yahoo! holdout, refusing to embrace the whole Google fad. I even insisted on using the phrase "why don't you yahoo it," as opposed to "why don't you google it," to further my resistance. Alas, while I still frequent Yahoo! for the news directly on their homepage, when it comes to searching, I am a Google gal.

At work I spend a lot of time on the image search, which is how I came across the Google Image Labeler, which I "played" tonite. They make it seem like a game, where you race an unseen partner to label photographs. Of course, in reality, you are doing free work for the billion-dollar Google empire. And it's not that fun; my partner didn't feel the need to label the picture of a mosque with "architecture" or "Islam." He or she is almost as big of a loser as the person who spent her last night for awhile with internet at home, labeling images. (Only two, though, I gave up quickly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment