Monday, March 21, 2011

More (mis)adventures in cooking

Occasionally, I will get creative with my dinner options. Not often, but occasionally. Like the thrown together guacamole. Or when I'm out of everything and have to make do with some mustard, mozzarella cheese, and  bacon. That's a slight exaggeration. But only slight. 

However, something similar does happen far more often than I'd like to admit. This is primarily because of my supreme aversion to both the grocery store and to spending money on something as fleeting as food. Tonite was one of those situations. The only thing I had all the ingredients for were my patented crescent roll/pizza roll/pocket things. (Ok, patent only pending if a better name can be found.)

Now that my fear of opening pressurized breading has been conquered -- post for a later date -- my refrigerator is never without crescent rolls. And after a Pillsbury commercial showed a mom -- because it's always a mom -- making pizza pockets with the rolls (and pepperoni, sauce, and cheese) I gave it a shot.

Except I don't know how she got those perfect little triangles so mine became Mega Flaky Pizza Rolls. (Better name?)


But tonite I wasn't in the mood for Pepperoni Bonanzas! and decided to try my hand at making some rice. My mom makes fun of me, but I have trouble making rice. Which is why my rice was exceptionally chewy tonite. But it wasn't too terrible.

To spice it up I found a can of red kidney beans in my cupboard. (I know, I was shocked too.) And there was a recipe on the side for red beans and rice which, apparently, requires a few more ingredients than just the red beans and rice. But I managed to "throw" something together with some oregano, Adobo seasoning, garlic, onions, and tomato sauce.

I don't feel comfortable calling it red beans and rice; the name is just too iconic. So I'll just call mine some rice, and some red beans.

Just a bit bland, probably needed more tomato sauce and onions, but very filling and, most importantly, different.

No comments:

Post a Comment