Sunday, February 15, 2009

How Corrupt is DC?

In line at GW for the Ben Folds/Jason Mraz concert, a father comes up to the girls behind us with his tween daughters in tow, and pays them to let his kids cut in line. The exchange went something like this:

"Hey, did I forget to give you $10 to buy a round of drinks because these girls forgot to get in line with you earlier?"

At least the daughters had the decency to look embarrassed, but he sure didn't. And seriously, we are in a recession, and it's D.C., a $10 bribe? That's chump change. Not to mention how after happy hour it probably buys a drink, certainly not a round.

He's lucky he didn't offer this to the roomie and I, who were, by the way, clearly the oldest people in line. She's in business school and therefore knows how to negotiate, and I'm both mean and a hater of line-cutters, so we would have required a significantly bigger pay-off.

However, the concert was amazing. It was great to see a Carolina boy do so well. I had no idea that someone who plays the piano could put on such an energetic performance. Among many other great songs, he sang Brick, which made my seventh grade self almost cry.
Jason Mraz was good as well, though quite mellow in comparison. And though I have 2.5 of his albums, I only recognized half of his songs. (Apparently they are all on that one half of his first album I don't have.) He did sing some that brought me right back to senior year of college, which is weird, when you're surrounded by undergrads and think that you haven't changed that much, but clearly have.
Next post: how I ate Obama's nose.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I loooove Ben Folds' music. Have you heard his latest album Way to Normal? I think the man is incapable of making a bad song!

    ReplyDelete