Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 145: Vacation all I ever wanted

Growing up two minutes from a pool, and two hours from the beach, I am no stranger to beach balls. In fact, they are the only athletic spherical object I tolerate, as they are very unlikely to cause a black eye, broken nose, or other painful ailment. But today, I bought a beach ball, for the first time with the knowledge it will likely never see water. Its sole purpose being to make it feel a little bit more like summer, in the midst of the concrete jungle, I don't get summers off world I inhabit.
I settled in to read a typically trashy beach book on my sand-like bed, using it as a pillow, only to have it shoot out from under me. (Good thing I had the bed to bounce off.) Thus I settled for it as a chin pillow, much easier to control.

I can almost feel the beach breeze in my hair or the sound of the pool filter in the background. Or maybe that's just the whirr of my air conditioner and the nightly news from the TV. Just let a girl pretend for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment