Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 130: Isn't it ironic?

This is probably only going to make sense to me, thus I pull out the "it's my blog and I can write what I want to."

(Most of the following originally written in an email to my friends. This doesn't matter. Just journalism school training kicking in, gotta cite my sources.)

After weeks of pondering, I wore something ironically. To be specific, a dress shirt, sweater vest, and Converse shoes, and I did so, ironically.

Come again?

A few weeks ago I read a slightly ridiculous article on polygamist wives' "fashion." It mentioned that something like the French braid wasn't likely to make a comeback, unless "a Brooklyn
hipster wore one ironically." Today, when I realized I had not brought a spare change of shoes, and looked like a cross between Juno and Annie Hall*, I decided I was dressed ironically. Finally.

I think to dress ironically is to wear something you know doesn't perfectly match or isn't in style, but to do so with confidence, panache, a tongue in cheek way of saying "fuck you society, I'll wear a French braid, I'll wear sneakers and a sweater vest!"

I think too much, about stupid things, but also, new things.

*I've never actually seen this movie, I could be way off.

No comments:

Post a Comment