Monday, October 30, 2006

"...and suddenly it's the weekend, break of day and stalls line Portobello Road right up to Notting Hill Gate." -William, Notting Hill

Thank goodness for weekends and their re-charging capabilities. But first was Friday, which was end of month work party day, which meant I ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off all day. It wasn't a bad day, just a busy day. But at least at the party I was able to wind down with free "vodka jellies" as they call them here, fully formed and not in ice cube trays! (You know who you are that this applies to, and I implicate myself as well.) The party was Halloween-themed, and here I thought one of the best parts of being away from America was no Halloween pressure! Wrong! But I did not dress up, not technically anyway, though I wore a new dress I just bought so I said I went as a girl who wanted to wear her new dress. I've discovered over the past few years that I don't really care for Halloween. Both times I did the whole Franklin Street thing I spent way too much money on a costume, was entirely too cold, and had my butt grabbed by way too many sketchy drunk dudes. If you aren't getting loads of free candy in a plastic pumpkin, I just don't see the point.

Saturday I got up earlyish to head for Portobello Road. But first, I turned on the television to see if I could find a weather report, but instead was greeted with the glorious sight of "Friends"! My first episode in nearly two months! It was the Pottery Barn one, an instant classic! Luckily for the sake of my Saturday plans, there was only one episode, so I set off for Notting Hill on a perfect fall day. I have been incredibly blessed with the weather thus far, and have not had any of my Saturday plans affected because of it. (Knock on wood.) I made it to Portobello Road and spent more than an hour walking from one end to the next, taking in everything. I've decided that if you can't find it at Portobello Road, than it simply doesn't exist. Telescopes, magnifying glasses, brooches, "period" costume jewelery for £5, what period I'm not sure, though it was probably bought the day before at Top Shop, "authentic" British officer jackets, Persian carpets...and that was just in the antiques section. Followed by fruit, cheese, bread, and crepes. Vintage jackets, punk t-shirts and boots, feather boas, and tacky souvenirs. I put my iPod away, and just listened to everything going on around me. Stall keepers yelling down the row at each other, one singing in a thick Cockney accent, another hawking her peaches so enthusiastically I wanted to buy some, despite the fact I don't like peaches. It was relaxing to just take my time, bought a few things but that wasn't my main goal, and just really glad I got to enjoy another piece of London. I also had my first crepe in months, for lunch. Chocolate and strawberries. I figured the strawberries helped make up for the fact that I was having a crepe for lunch.

After Portobello Road I set off for Hammersmith, where I had heard there was some good shopping. I bought a wallet at T.K. Maxx, not as cool as my other one but still nice, and then discovered the best store thus far: Primark. The cheapest clothing and accessories I've yet to see here. I bought my winter coat, exactly what I wanted, for £20! That was £30 under my budget! (Don't go thinking though the Earth will implode because I was under budget. I more than made up for it with other purchases. Whew.) I bought a few sweaters, a purse, a necklace, and a few other things, all for good prices.

Saturday night I chilled inside, fell asleep pathetically early, and then woke up at 6:30 Sunday ready to go thanks to the time change and early bedtime. I managed to sleep for a bit longer, however. Then church, lunch at a great cheap pizza place on Goodge Street afterward. On the walk back I made the mistake of "browsing" in H and M. There is no such thing as "browsing" when it comes to me and H and M, however. I then set off to find an Internet cafe near me with laptop access, which I did find one near Paddington Station, so I spent an hour downloading stuff on iTunes, and lamenting the fact that I'm not sure how much longer poor Javier can last. He can't play a whole song on iTunes without skipping, and DVD watching is made very difficult with the constant stop and go. If he can just hold on until March I will be really grateful.

Now I'm just ready for this weekend, when Mom and Aunt LuAnn finally get here. I am really looking forward to showing them around London, having time off of work, and of course our trip to Scotland. Only a few more days. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment