Thursday, October 12, 2006

"There only words, they don't control us."

That subject line is brought to you, incorrect grammar and all, by my favorite Joey and yours, one Mr. Joe Wayne Churchwell III. I expected some repercussions for using "xenophobia" and "chastised" in my e-mail to him, and I guess that is what I get. I think it's a pretty profound statement though.

I am at work on reception and just booked my first out of London trip, to Brighton. I am going to spend the day there Saturday, so pray for good weather. It's supposed to be 66 with no rain until the evening, knock on wood. I'll be taking Megabus, which comes recommended by both Karey and BUNAC. And it only cost me £10. I love taking trains but since I haven't received my Young Person's Railcard yet, I'm holding off. So if you have been to Brighton and have some suggestions please throw them my way.

My week has been uneventful so far. I was supposed to go to church and have dinner with some of the young adults on Wednesday night, but got so caught up in the book I was reading I lost track of time. And given that I was sitting on a hard wooden chair in the noisy Starbucks in Borders on Oxford Street, it was a very good book! Thus I highly recommend "The Constant Gardener." It is upsetting to the extent that it explores the ugliest side of capitalism and corporate greed, and makes you really think. But it isn't gruesome.

But today was great because I finally got Mom's package! Signing for my own package at work is way better than signing for everyone elses. Nutter Butters, Halloween Peeps, "The Lake House" DVD, a pretty and soft glove/scarf/hat set, and best of all, GRITS! I am going to have them tonite for dinner alongside my fritod. I am on the anti-Atkins diet over here, but I am trying to supplement all the carbs with lots of tomatoes, spinach, and apples. If the roommate stops teasing me about them, I might let her have a taste. She also sent me my CDs with some saved "Daily Show" sketches, as I have been in serious Jon withdrawal.

Now I'll close with another gem from Joey. I hope you don't mind Joey, but as it made me laugh out loud, embarrassingly so, at work this morning, I thought I'd give others the chance. Oh and in case you don't know, he was in the police car because some dumb, Yankee, drunk repeat-offender bitch hit him. Not for stealing a stop sign or anything. :-)
"Well then the police showed up and I was asked to sit in the front seat of a cop car. I know what your thinking and yes I wanted to flip every damn switch in that car to see what they did. But being the responsible young adult I am I simply filled out my report and got out."
Responsible indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Have an awesome time in Brighton, Bonnie! The thing I liked best about Brighton was walking up the pier or sitting by the beach and people watching. The pier has some fun rides and fattening foods (the "American" donuts are particularly yummy) and the beach will still be filled with people, even if it's chilly outside.

    Have you been to see this yet? It looks so fun! http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1891764,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Constant Gardner the movie was wonderful! I should read the book, but you know me...I have about a hundred books to read but I will keep my eye out for it at the PTA. Grits are the best! Your italian roommates shouldn't be to turned off by them they are like polenta!My Mom made me some while home last weekend they were yummy!!

    ReplyDelete