Thursday, September 14, 2006

She works hard for the money

I'm a working girl now. First day as a junior admin assistant. Yes, four years at one of the top universities in the country and I am qualified in the UK to make sure the tablecloth is taken off the boardroom table before meetings, shop for biscuits once a week, and deliver post. Whew, so glad the all-nighters, loans, and thousands of pages of reading weren't for nothing.

Just kidding, I am alright doing what I will be doing for the next six months, knowing if nothing else, it will push me further to realizing what I really want to do with my life. And at least I'll be in London while I'm doing it!

Today was basically day one of like 35 of training. It's a lot of information but not hard work, and I think once we actually start doing the tasks, and not talking about doing them, it will be fine. It seems like a really nice, open office, with a good mixture of people. I also think it will be very interesting, just the project names of the things they are designing are interesting. And even though I swore after this summer I would never work another reception job again, at least I won't be dealing with crazy cat lady tenants bitching about their refrigerators and $70 cat food. Or owners with closets of hemorrhoid cream. (That was all just for you Angela. :-)) And it will be good to alternate the somebody's bitch part with the reception part.

It's also not a bad walk to work. I realize I say that now, after the first day, and when I'm not in danger of dying of exposure, but we'll see. If only I could lend Marissa some of my legs it would be an even quicker walk. Any of my friends who have had to physically pull me back to keep me from walking too fast now what I am talking about.

So I'm sitting in this super-cheap, super-nice internet cafe not far from my flat, and I keep smiling to myself and I think the people around me are a little freaked out. But I mean, they are playing old school En Vogue on the PA system and how can you not smile at that?

Oh, the flat. We moved in yesterday, finally. I think it will be nice. Very safe so far, well-lit, quiet, but near a main road, and a good amount of other flats around us. Nice size room with large ceilings. Our flatmates seem very nice. The Italian guy is very nice and showing us how everything works. (Gas stove you have to light with a match - scary.) And the other two girls are Italian as well but don't speak much English, but are still very nice. And they are all so clean and I think it will work out well. Knock on wood. We're still trying to get situated and everything but it feels good to have a place to come home to at the end of the day.

We went to a pub night for BUNAC last night and I talked to some people and got one girl's number. We both really want to see "Wicked" and may try to go on Saturday, if I can get cheap tickets. But the pub was nice even though we got there too late to eat and I didn't drink anything. But after a long day like today, I don't know people have the energy to do anything after work.

I feel like my entries are too long so if you get through them all I thank you. But I tend to ramble and rant when I'm talking so why should when I'm writing be any different?

1 comment:

  1. Come be my bitch!! I want you to be my bitch!!! Thanks for the flashback....Bunnage SUCKS!!!!!! Sounds like you are on your way!! I'm proud of you babe!!

    ReplyDelete