Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wizards and Nuggets and Tar Heels, oh my!

On Tuesday, thanks to a generous coworker, my old roommate and I went to the Washington Wizards vs. Denver Nuggets game.

Taking the tickets wasn't exactly an open and shut decision. You see, I'm a bit of a dork. More accurately, a bit of a politics dork. And, as we all know, Tuesday night was also State of the Union night. And I love love State of the Union night.

But, in the end, the desire to go to my first NBA game for free, with a good friend, and watch a former Tar Heel star turned Denver Nugget (Ty Lawson), won out. (And because I had the current roommate DVR the news coverage and speech for me so I could watch it immediately.)


Neither of us had ever been to an NBA game before and found the whole experience fun and...interesting. Different. Between the two of us we've probably been to 50 UNC games so we are used to a certain atmosphere and style of play.

But we enjoyed watching the less-than-energetic cheerleaders and the more-than-energetic crowd warmer guy. We had a good laugh/cry over the creepy mascots. We learned that it is impossible not to cheer for a team in Carolina blue. We basked in the glares of the crowd as we cheered each time Lawson played and clapped each time Denver scored. We remained dumbfounded by the constant music and frequency of technicals. We texted our votes for "Apache," aka "Jump On It," for the "dance cam" song and waited until the last five minutes of the last quarter for it.

But, more importantly, we watched a player in blue help his NBA team to a road victory, just like we used to watch a player in blue help his Carolina team to a Dean Dome victory. And then we realized we are old. For more reasons than just the basketball game.


We also learned that there are no free biscuits in D.C. when the home team scores 100 points. Ripoff.

But B and my eye were still happy. (Placeholder pic until I get the better one from B.)


And, to top the night off, I got proposed to at the Metro farecard machine. But that's a story for another day.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had a good time at your first NBA game. When I use to go i always cheer for any TAR HEEL who may be playing. Tyler still gets a bigger cheer then anyone when he plays here. We just can't help but love our HEELS, no matter who they may play for.
    Love Amee

    ReplyDelete