Thursday, November 29, 2012

Frozen toes, popcorn in hair, and cider on coat: Meeting John and Sherry of Young House Love

As all should know by now, my favorite blog is Young House Love, written by husband and wife super DIY duo John and Sherry.


I've been reading their blog for several years and sometimes forget that I don't actually know them. (If you read a lot of blogs, you'll understand. If you don't read a lot, you'll find this strange. It's not.) When shopping, I constantly say, "Sherry would love this!" Or, when talking to friends with kids, will say something like, "Clara has that same toy." Thankfully, I have many friends that read the blog too and understand. (Everyone else just thinks I have friends named John, Sherry, Clara, and Burger.)

They released a book at the beginning of the month with a plethora of DIY home ideas. To say it's fantastic is an under statement. The book is all-new content, with ideas they managed to think of, write about, and put together, all while raising their daughter and dog and blogging about 10 times a week. Just reading their stuff exhausts and then energizes me. Last month, when they announced a book tour stop in D.C., I had to have been one of the first to RSVP.


The night finally came last night. The signing started at 6:30 and Lauren and I were in line at 6:11. It was held at the Flor store in Georgetown, which neither of us had been to and both of us were expecting to be a lot bigger space, one where we'd be warm and snug indoors instead of cold and frigid outdoors. However, it was totally worth the cold and the wait. We started across from the store, but had to go down a block, over a bit, then up a block before making it to the actual store.


Though it was a long line, it was nice to see just how many fans they have. Flor had arranged for a food truck to serve free cookies and hot cider, both of which were delicious and helped warm us up a bit. 


While we waited we submitted raffle tickets to win this J&S-designed Flor beauty.


As we got in sight of the door, they also had warm popcorn, and once inside, wine, too. As we thawed out, got more excited to meet them, and juggled books and bags, I realized I had cider on my coat and yet another piece of popcorn in my hair. A perfect blog idol-meeting look. (But it did produce Lauren's idea for the post title.)

Now, as I've mentioned before, I get super nervous when meeting or even thinking about meeting famous people. I'm just so awkward and am always worried about blurting out random things. (Especially after wine, remember Drunk Bonnie?) Luckily it was just a small glass of wine and I had 2 hours to think about what I would say. And two minutes to clean up cider and clean out popcorn. (My feet were too cold to change out of my nerdy converses and into cute shoes. I hope they didn't notice.)


As we got closer we could see them interacting with people and hear them talking. (Especially Sherry, she sounds just like she does in their videos with a voice that carries.) They were both just so sweet and genuine, exactly as they portray themselves online. If someone had a camera but didn't ask for a picture, they'd say "You need a picture!" They thanked people for waiting so long in the cold and commiserated with those house hunting or house fixing. They just seemed so grateful and happy for each person that was there, even though they'd been at it for 2 hours and apparently would keep going for about 2 hours more.

Because I've been reading their blog longer, Lauren said I had to start the talking. Which basically amounted to "hi," "this is for mom who's renovating her kitchen," "this is for me," and "you're really good at this" or something along those lines.


I didn't blurt out anything creepy like "The 4th step on your porch stairs looks loose." or "I don't like kids but I just love Clara." (I don't actually know if the step is loose I just feel like I know their house so much that I could have said something way too specific. I do, however, love Clara despite my general wariness of kids and Mom said I should have really said that.) They were just very sweet and friendly and seemed like any two people you'd meet on the street whose house floor plan you know.


It was a fun night and I'm so glad that we were able to meet them. Now if only Mom and Gloria, the other two big YHL fans in my life, could have been there. Perhaps for the next book?

No comments:

Post a Comment