Monday, June 18, 2012

Things I Learned This Weekend

It is possible to spray paint in an apartment. 
I finally took the plunge and decided to try spray painting. Inside my apartment. There are so many crafts I see that I want to do, but can't because I have no place to spray paint. Well, with a cut-up Ikea bag, some cardboard boxes, and an open window, I made it happen. This is the priming stage on a few things.


Spray paint residue will get everywhere.
The hot pink paint left a light dusty layer on the floor (that was easily wiped up) and thus also my bare feet, then my socks, then my legs. The best part was not realizing it was on my feet until I got to the pool and left hot pink foot prints everywhere. And also, the next day in the shower, half asleep, watching bright pink water go down the drain.

The best Saturday plans are making no plans and spending the day by the pool.
This was my Saturday and what a good day it was. The morning was nice and cool for a little while, I got a great chair that never got shade, read some magazines, listened to Citizen Cope, and even took a few cooling dips in the too-cold pool.


A popsicle and "Ghostbusters" is a great post-pool activity.
I got back just in time to catch my absolute favorite part of "Ghostbusters" -- the Stay Puff marshmallow man. I was obsessed with this thing as a kid, and still love him now. 


My napping is out of control.
I slept off and on for 3 hours on Saturday! 3! That is just absurd.

"Spring Awakening" might just be my favorite musical.
On Sunday I went to a small theatre in D.C. for a performance of this musical. I saw it at the Kennedy Center three years ago and just loved it. It gets a lot of press because it's quite risque, and the play it was based on was frequently banned, but the story and music are just so powerful and strong that it should overshadow the rest. I listen to the soundtrack often and enjoyed seeing it again. It was a much smaller theatre and production, but was so well-done with excellent local actors.

Maxi dresses make for maxi problems.
I think maxi dresses look good on other people, but I've never been a fan of them on me. But last week I bought one at Forever 21 because the back was cute, the print was nice, and it was cheap. I thought I'd just shorten it but decided to try it out long today first. Yeah, just not a fan. It's too much fabric and my foot kept getting caught on the hem.

If at first you don't succeed and you kill 10 plants, just try, try again.
After killing all my plants last year after it turned out setting them on the radiator wasn't the best idea, I haven't had any others. Honestly, and maybe it was because I'd named them all, but I was quite upset after I killed them and not even my mom could bring them back to life. But, since I had a new pot that needed a plant, I picked up a succulent at the hardware store. Introducing Calpurnia, who won't be going anywhere near the radiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment