Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Peter's home!

I recently saw a new Folger's coffee Christmas commercial entitled "Coming Home." (I won't link to it here but it's on YouTube.) It's a (far inferior and fairly creepy) re-take of the popular 1980's Folger's commercial where Peter comes home for Christmas.



As far back as my memory goes, so goes this commercial. As a kid it wasn't Christmas until the commercial aired. I just loved it and would feel instant peace and joy the second it came on. I was probably the same age as the little girl when it first started airing and loved the idea of being on a secret mission with an older brother. Loved the sound of the grounds being scooped and the fresh-brewed goodness hitting the pot. Loved the way I could smell the aroma and feel the warmth through the television. Loved the excitement on his family's face.

But let's not forget Peter. Because, yes, I definitely had a crush on Peter. Tall, dark, handsome, and clearly preppy. I had a type even at five.

I don't know, maybe part of me knew, even then, that some day I'd be like Peter, coming home for Christmas every year.

Though without the sneaking in or coffee. Because it's kind of hard to sneak in when you don't drive and kind of hard to make coffee when you don't like it nor even know how to make it. But that's far less catchy of a commercial.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Shannon loves that commerical she even cries when she watches it. Have you seen the new folgers commerical?
    Love Amee-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I don't like that one, the brother/sister are weird. I used to cry at Peter too, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't christmas for me until i saw it too...that and the kodak one...the grandfather goes out to the mailbox and opens a card from his son...it has a picture of his grandchild...card says Merry christmas pop...we're coming home!!! tearing up now
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete